First time buyers are discovering that housebuilders are committed to helping them onto the housing ladder.
As New Homes Week (May 13-19) continues Barratt Homes says that schemes such as Help to Buy and Help to Buy – Wales are really making a difference to those looking to buy. The housebuilder also says that low interest rates are providing first time buyers with the confidence to make their move this year.
Sales director Andrea Pilgrim said that there has never been a better time to buy and New Homes Week is the perfect opportunity to showcase the benefits of buying new – from the schemes available through to the cost benefits of an energy efficient home and the opportunity to make your own mark on a blank canvas.
“There’s no doubt Brexit is still causing some uncertainty in the minds of some buyers but, in our view, there’s actually never been a better time to buy a new house – and we simply want to reassure our customers of that fact and highlight the benefits they can enjoy by buying now.”
Her comments come as new research from the five star housebuilder shows that the government’s Help to Buy scheme can knock more than three years off the time it takes to get on the property ladder.
Barratt surveyed around 1,600 of its customers who had used Help to Buy to get their views on the scheme. More than half of the respondents (55 per cent) said it would have taken them three or more years to buy a house if they hadn’t used Help to Buy, while more than 33 per cent said that without using the scheme it would have taken them more than five years to get their home.
To mark New Homes Week, Barratt Homes has issued five reasons why there’s no time like the present to buy a new home.
- There are schemes to help you get on the housing ladder. Help to Buy and Help to Buy – Wales combined with low interest rates and the opportunity to choose a fixed rate mean more people can get on the property ladder.
- Everything is new. Maybe it’s stating the obvious, but with a newly built property everything inside is new. The bath, the boiler, the shower and toilets, the oven, any other fittings and fixtures. The new appliances will all be highly energy efficient, compared to appliances that were potentially first fitted years ago. They will also be under warranty which can be a huge reassurance when you move into a new home.
- It’s more cost effective. Recent advancements in energy efficiency mean the difference between the running costs of an older property and a new home can be substantial. Research from the National House Building Council and the Zero Carbon Hub showed that families living in newly built homes could be saving as much as £1,400 a year on their energy bills compared to if they were living in a typical four-bedroom Victorian property.
- There doesn’t have to be a chain. With a new build you’re no longer at the mercy of the person you’re buying from. Instead you’re dealing with a professional sales team who understand the complexities of moving.
- There’s no requirement for renovation. With a new build home, you don’t just get a blank canvas. If you pick a plot before it is completed you can work with our experienced team to choose your own fixtures, finishes and appliances. And if you just want to enjoy a modern home with clean lines and colours then we have properties ready to simply buy and move in. No stripping and no hard work is required.